* The clothing company was established in Sweden, in 1947 by Erling Persson though at the time it only sold women's clothing and was called Hennes,Swedish for "hers.
* In 1968, Persson acquired the premises and inventory of a Stockholm hunting equipment store named Mauritz Widforss. Included in the inventory was a supply of men's clothing,prompting Persson to expand into menswear.
* Accordingly, he renamed the store Hennes & Mauritz, later abbreviated to H&M.. Today the majority of H&M's clothing is manufactured in Asia and Europeincluding China, Turkey, India, Bangladesh and Egypt.
* H&M's first store abroad was opened in Norway. Then from 1964 onwards, H&M embarked upon a major expansion programme manyfurther stores in Europe, including Portugal, the UK, Denmark, Switzerland and Germany.
* In the 1990s, the first stores opened in Finland, France, Belgium, Austria, Spain and the Netherlands.
*H&M has continued to expand its business and today H&M has an extensive network throughout much of Europe. H&M opened its first US store in New York on 5th Avenue and 51st Street in March 2000. As ofAugust 2010, H&M has nearly 200 individual stores in the United States.
* There are currently 48 stores in Canada, in Quebec, Ontario, Alberta, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and British Columbia.* H&M opened its first Asian store (also H&M's first franchise) in Dubai in 2006.
* The two first Israeli stores opened in Tel Aviv, Haifa and in Jerusalem in March 2010.
* H&M signed anagreement to open its first store in South Korea. The store is located in the best business location of Myeongdong in Seoul and was opened during the spring of 2010
* In 2011, H&M will open first...