Culture and interculturalism are current issues in business as in everyday life. When considering working with foreign people, it isessential to take cultural differences into account and to behave the right way.
In the case of United Kingdom, it is difficult to identify one single culture since it is composed of four countries(England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland). It is all the more difficult since the United Kingdom traditionally has a culture of diversity due to the presence of numerous British immigrants. Themixture of different ethnic groups gives the United Kingdom a very diverse and atypical identity, mixing heritage and innovation. However, some common points can easily be underscored.
To what extenthas interculturalism a great influence for businesses in the United Kingdom ?
1) Management types in the UK vs. France
Management types often vary according to national culture sincemanagers are human beings who also belong to a group with a specific culture. Managers are often taught how to lead people during their studies, but they also have their own approach.
The maincharacteristics of managers in the United Kingdom:
* they receive a general education
* they are not afraid of giving responsibilities
* they have a practical approach to management
* they haverather formal relationships in business
* they encourage individualism among employees
* they believe that you have to continue education, by training, at work
As for French managers,according to this study:
* they believe in an educational system with a strong elitism
* they have a predominant sense of hierarchy and of power
* they in most cases have impersonal basic...