Commentaire de texte
About the book and the author :
* Written by Georges Eliot
* Mary Anne (Mary Ann, Marian) Evans (22November 1819 – 22 December 1880), better known by her pen name George Eliot, was an English novelist and one of the leading writers of the Victorian era. She is the author of seven novels, including TheMill on the Floss (1860), Silas Marner (1861), Middlemarch (1871–72), and Daniel Deronda (1876), most of them set in provincial England and well known for their realism and psychological insight.* Entitled Daniel Deronda
* Published in 1876
* Written during the Victorian period (1837-1901, during the reign of the queen Victoria)
* The reign was a long period of prosperity forthe British people, as profits gained from the overseas British Empire, as well as from industrial improvements at home, allowed an educated middle class to develop.
About the text :
* First timethat Daniel Deronda sees Gwendoline ‘’the young women’’ she is with a friend who is also her chaperon. In the text she named by ‘’a middle aged woman’’.
* She‘s playing a game. She knows thatDaniel Deronda is looking at her and she‘s playing with that, controlling all of her movements. ‘’ But in the course of that survey, her eyes met Deronda’s. ‘’ they are absolutely not talking to eachothers, there is no dialogue. Furtherer we can notice that it’s a showing text, the narrator is making a description during an action and it’s not an obtrusive narrator. He is not making commentariesabout the scene he is only describing.
* Georges Eliot focus his writing on the character minds and behavior, he is analyzing their movements.
* It’s a Portrait of the young woman who’s namedGwendoline. It’s reveled by the text, with a lot of ‘’she’’ or ‘’her’’ or her name ‘’Gwendoline’’ that we learn at the end of the text.
* Daniel is looking Gwendoline strangely because she is a...