à l’attention des correcteurs du baccalauréat
Série L LV1 ANGLAIS
I. COMPRÉHENSION – EXPRESSION
Vous traiterez les questions dans l'ordre, en indiquant clairement leur numéro sur votre copie.
Lorsque la réponse doit être développée, le nombre de mots ou d’éléments de réponse est indiqué
dans la question.
En l’absence d’indications, vous répondrezbrièvement à la question posée.
1. Find three elements showing that the scene takes place in India. (The characters’ names will
not be accepted.)
“monsoon” (l. 19), “puribhaji” (l. 13) “ragdaa patties” (l. 13) “rupees” (l. 45) 3 pts
2. Where exactly do the characters meet?
They meet in Miss Alvarez’s classroom / in Jehangir’s classroom / in a classroom.
Pour “at school”, mettre la moitié des points.2 pts
3. Say how Jehangir is connected to the other characters present in the scene.
He is Miss Alvarez’s pupil and Yezad (Chenoy)’s son. 2 x 2 pts = 4pts
Focus on Jehangir and Miss Alvarez.
4. a) What school project was Jehangir involved in?
He was involved in her project of homework monitoring. 4 pts
Comment on Miss Alvarez’s attitude. (20/30 words)
By touching Jehangir in such a way,she both “identifies” him as being the culprit / the
one who is guilty / who has done wrong and “protects” him, possibly from his father’s
reaction or because he still is her “golden boy”. 2 x 4 pts = 8 pts
8. How does Jehangir feel during the whole scene? Justify by quoting from the text.
He is embarrassed / ashamed / guilty.
l.28: "Jehangir scrutinized his father’s shoes"
l.29: " Then thetears made his eyes blurry "
l.41: " But Jehangir’s eyes were still studiously examining footwear."
4 pts + 2 pts = 6 pts
Now focus on Yezad.
9. At the beginning of the scene (lines 6 to 9) what in his attitude and thoughts shows that Yezad
has not yet realized how serious the situation is? (20/30 words)
He is relaxed at the beginning. He is even pleased with his son’s mischief. He ispleased
to find out that his son is not so perfect and takes after him. 2 x 3 pts = 6 pts
10. From line 10 to 20, Yezad doesn’t concentrate on Miss Alvarez’s words. Explain why. (20/30
- He is not listening to Miss Alvarez because he is daydreaming. He is thinking about the
time when he went to school / he is remembering his youth.
- He used to go to the same school as his son and herecognizes the smell of the place.
- Moreover, he can remember his school mates. 3 x 4 pts = 12 pts
11. a) Quote Yezad’s words showing that he has finally understood what Jehangir has done.
“I don’t know what to say.” (line 40) 1 pt
b) In your own words, describe Yezad’s reactions at the end of the passage.
- He feels sick. He apologizes. He is speechless / shocked. (N’exiger qu’une seule de cesreactions.)
- He promises that Jehangir will not do it again. 2 x 4 pts = 8 pts
12. Choose one of the following subjects. 60 pts
(250 words approximately. Give the number of words.)
Imagine what happened between Yezad and Jehangir after the conversation with Miss Alvarez.
“No sense being goody-goody all the time.” (line 7)
Do you think like Yezad that children will onlybe children if they sometimes get into trouble?
Translate into French from line 38 (Yezad’s eyebrows rose…) to line 45 (‘…was my golden boy.’).
1. Yezad’s eyebrows rose as he looked at his son, then at Miss Alvarez. 6 pts
Yezad haussa les sourcils en regardant son fils, puis Miss Alvarez.
2. She nodded sadly. 3 pts
Elle acquiesça avec tristesse.
b) Why was he chosen to takepart in it?
He was chosen because he was Miss Alvarez’s best student / a good student. 4 pts
5. a) Explain the role Jehangir was expected to play in this project.
He was expected to check that the pupils did their homework properly. / He helped
the pupils / he supervised the homework of the pupils. 4 pts
b) What did he do wrong?
He repeatedly accepted money from rich, lazy students who...