1948 Neil H. McElroy assumed leadership of P&G.
P&G began operating in Mexico--its first subsidiary in Latin America.The Overseas Division was created to manage the Companies growing business outside of the United States.
1952 A new research facility, Miami Valley Laboratories (MVL), opened inCincinnati. MVL was the Company's first facility dedicated solely to upstream research. 1954 The Company began operations in continentalEurope by leasing a small plant in Marseilles, France, from the Fournier-Ferrier Company, a detergent manufacturer.
Crest, the first toothpaste with fluoride clinically provento fight cavities, was introduced.
Crest sales skyrocketed in 1960 when The American Dental Association recognized it as "The decay-preventive dentifrice." The ADA awarded Crest theirSeal of Approval in 1964.
P&G GmbH opened its first office in Frankfurt, Germany, with 15 employees. Three years later, Germany's first plant in Worms began production ofFairy cleaning powder and Dash laundry detergent.
Downy, P&G's first fabric softener, was introduced.
1963 P&G entered the coffee business with the acquisition of FolgersCoffee. The European Technical Center opened in Brussels to serve Common Market subsidiaries. Ariel was developed there in 1967.
1973 The Company began manufacturing and selling P&Gproducts in Japan through the acquisition of the Nippon Sunhome Company. The new company was called Procter & Gamble Sunhome Co. Ltd.
1974 Ed Harness was elected to head the Company.