ACT II, scene 1
Excerpt from p. 68 ‘The clearing is suddenly…’
to line 187 : ‘And I will overhear their conference.’
Vocabulary :* Moonës sphere (l.7) : the moon, planets and stars were thought to be fixed to transparent spheres which rotated about the Earth
* Changeling (l.23) = a child secretly exchanged foranother in infancy
* Tailor (l.54) : the expression probably refers to someone falling on their backside or ‘tail’.
* Corin and Phillida (l.66-68) : names traditionally used for shepherds(bergers)and shepherdesses in pastoral*.
* Step (l. 69) : the furthest limit of exploration
* Perigouna…Aegles … Ariadne … Antiopa (l. 78-80) : lovers of Theseus during his legendary adventures
*Nine men’s morris (l. 98) : a game with pegs, which could be played outdoors by cutting a pattern of squares in the turf.
* Hiems (l. 109) : winter personified as an old man.
* Votaress (l. 123): a woman who has taken vows
I ; to set this excerpt in context, first read the beginning of Act II, line 1 to line 59 and find the answers to the following questions (answer in your own words andjustify by quoting)
1) Where and when is the scene set ?
2) Who are Oberon and Titania ? What are they quarrelling about ?
3) Who is Puck ? What do we learn about him ?
II ; Excerptfrom p. 68 ‘The clearing is suddenly…’ to line 187
II ; Read the excerpt down to ‘Titania departs in anger with her train’ (l. 145)
1) - What do Oberon and Titania accuse each other of ? (l. 60to 80)
* Why is it ironical ?
2) - What do we learn about the Indian boy ? (l. 120 to 137)
* What does Oberon want him for ?
3) – What does Titania think Oberon and herself areresponsible for ?
* Floods (l. 90 – 92 ) : rivers were made to overflow
* L. 95… the corn/vegetation was made to rot/to get moldy, ie not to get mature.
* L. 97 the cattle has been...