Tourism WS 2010/2011
I. Presentation of the country
a. Geographical location
First, France has an ideal location in the middle of Europe. Another advantage of France is its islands. France Metropolitan has islands like Corsica but also overseas territories such as Reunion Island, Guadeloupe and Martinique.Climate: France has a moderate climate in winter and a temperate climate in summer. This allows for winter sports in winter and summer resorts in summer. However, France also benefits from sunshine all the year through the overseas territories.
Terrain: It is bordered by ocean and sea. The alpine zone is composed mainly of the Pyrenees, the Alps, Vosges, the Rhône valley, Massif Central andJura.
b. Key figures
France attracted about 82 million foreign tourists in 2007 (it was a historic record surpassing its population), a 3.8% increase compared to 2006, making it the most popular tourist destination in the world in front of the United States and Spain and since 1980. But tourism in USA and Spain generates more revenue.
The main foreign international tourists areEuropean and German tourists are first. Moreover, only 20% of French people go abroad for holiday.
Tourism is very important for the economy of the country because it represents 6% of the country's income, creates about 2 million of employment and contributes significantly to the balance of payments.
Paris is the capital of France and the largest city in France. The Paris urbanagglomeration is Europe's biggest city economy and the sixth largest in the world.
Paris produces more than a quarter of the gross domestic product (GDP) of France.
The city is the most popular tourist destination in the world with 45 million tourists (half of the total of tourists in France) annually and 27 million of whom are foreign visitors. Paris contains numerous iconic landmarks, particularlythe Eiffel Tower.
c. Target : types of tourists
Everything is possible in France and for everybody. For each age, sex, education, family composition and occupation.
Concerning the income and the status, the life’s cost in France can be expensive for certain person or family. But you can find some places which fits with your income and your status.
III. How to stay the firstdestination?
France is today faced with a context of increasingly competition (20 years ago there were only 70 destinations in competition today they are more than 800) and to stay the first tourist destination there are two important point to work in:
- improve its image through the quality of its welcome.
- find solutions for the problem of the environment.
A. The image of France:« Hosting it the art of creating of an atmosphere in which the visitor feels welcomed and desired » Kenneth Hudson, UNESCO expert.
For foreign visitors, the welcome is an essential point in choosing a destination. Unfortunately foreign tourists have often bad feelings about the French. In fact, arrogance and bad reception are two too recurrent facts and tarnish the image of the French reception.1) Why tourists have such an image of French people?
- There is a « language barrier », less with young generation. However, for languages, France is in decline in Europe.
- In some case a poor mutual understanding of the cultural differences can be a cause. It is just a difference of culture and if they knew better the culture of the other country it would be easier to understand.- French also have a strong sense of the universality of their culture and values. That can shock some people and appear like a lack of open-minded.
2) What are the solutions to improve this image?
- The operation of « Bienvenue en France » (Welcome in France) existing every year since 2004. The slogan is « accommodate better is better sell and retain customers”. It is a...