It was characterized by:
* Stability > political point of view. Two Prime Ministers Disraeli and Gladstone. They were goodin both home and foreign affaires
* Economical progress > industry substituted the old agricultural economy: new inventions steam engine and telephone that means that transports communicationsimproved.
* Democracy > people could participated in the government. Men started to have rights.
* Social > aristocracy lose power. New social classes born such as working class.
*Territorial expansions: India and Africa
THE PRESSURE FOR REFORM
* During V.A. several reforms bills passed thank to Disraeli and Gladstone.
* 1832 > the first reform bills passed.Excluded working class from the possibility to vote.
* 1838 > working class presented the PEOPLE CHARTER which was a document that contains several points: - SECRET VOTE - POSSIBILITY TO BE ELECTEDIN THE PARLIAMENT – VOTE FOR ALL MALES .
* This document was rejected for 10 years. Then people maid petitions but the leaders of this movements were arrested.
* In 1848 > the thirdpetition was rejected.
* Only between 1860 and 1914 > all the requests became laws.
* The right to vote for all men was granted in 1918.
* Women had the right to vote in the 1929.
THEGREAT EXHIBITION (1851)
* Prince Albert, Victoria’s husband, organized in 1851 the first exhibition.
* He affirmed that even poor people should be able to see works of art so he asked artists tomake miniatures of the greatest works of art.
* For the great Exhibitions he asked Paxton, a technician to build a very huge building in Hyde Park, in glass and iron > it was called thecrystal palace.
* It was destroyed during the war but than in was rebuilt.
* Prince Albert whit this palace wanted to show world the power of Britain – how great Britain was.
* Thank to P.A....