Empowerment culture in grameen

Pages: 21 (5185 mots) Publié le: 1 février 2011
Assignment
The empowerment sub-culture

List of Content

1. Introduction 5
1.1 Structure 5
1.2 Introducing Grameen Bank 5
1.3 Empowerment 6
1.4 Empowerment for the Grameen Bank 7
2. Frameworks 9
2.1 Hofstede cultural dimension 9
2.1.1 Power Distance 9
2.1.2 Individualism 9
2.1.3 Masculinity vs. Femininity 10
2.1.4 Uncertainty Avoidance 10
2.1.5 Long termOrientation 10
2.2 Schein’s model of organizational culture 11
2.2.1 Artifacts 11
2.2.2 Espoused Beliefs and Values 11
2.2.3 Assumptions 12
2.3 Justification of frameworks 12
3. Analysis of Grameen Sub-Culture 13
3.1 Hofstede Cultural Dimension 13
3.1.1 Power distance index 13
3.1.2 Individualism 14
3.1.3 Masculinity 14
3.1.4 Uncertainty Avoidance 15
3.2 Schein’smodel of organization 15
4. Conclusion 16
5. Appendices 17
5.1 What is Microcredit (or Grameencredit)? 17
5.2 The 16 décisions 17
5.3 Grameen’s Objectives 18
5.4 Schein’s model 19
6. List of références 20

List of Abbreviations

Grameen Grameen Bank
IDV Individualism
LTO Long term Orientation
MAS Masculinity
PDI Power Distance Index
UAIUncertainty Avoidance Index

1. Introduction
2.1 Structure
The following assignment will discuss the issue of empowerment sub-culture for the Grameen Bank. During this assignment the word Grameen will be use to talk about Grameen Bank. In the first step of the assignment we will see a short overview of the Grameen Bank, then we will analyse the frameworks used to analyse the Grameen Bankcorporate culture. And to finish we will have a conclusion of this topic and we will see given proposition.
2.2 Introducing Grameen Bank
The Grameen Bank is a “target-group-oriented credit institution” (Hossain, 1988) they provide loans to rural households that own less than 0.5 acres.
The origins of Grameen Bank (Grameen means "rural" or "village" in Bengali) are young. Indeed, the ideaof creating this concept came during a terrible famine in Bangladesh in 1974. The Grameen Bank was founded by Mr Muhammad Yunus a doctor in economy from Vanderbilt University in the United States of America. To be even more precise, the Grameen Bank was founded in 1976 when Muhammad Yunus, was the “Head of the Rural Economics Program at the University of Chittagong“(Grameen, 2011 a). At the verybeginning, he launched a research project to test the hypothesis if “the poor are supplied with working capital they can generate productive self employment without external assistance” (Hossain, 1988). Moreover, he believed that offering such loans, available to everyone, could improve the condition of poverty in Bangladesh. He was working on the possibility of designing a credit delivery system toprovide banking services to “everyone” or in other words the “rural poor”. The action research was finally successful in Jobra and some of the neighboring villages during 1976-1979 (Grameen, 2011 a). Indeed, the first loan was of U.S. $ 26 to a group of 42 families. With 62 cents per person, the borrowers bought the materials to make goods such as pots. At the end of their first day, they soldtheir work and paid back the loan (nytimes, 1997). In October 1983, the Grameen Bank Project was transformed into an independent bank by the Bangladeshi’s government legislation. Today Grameen Bank is owned by the rural poor whom it serves. Borrowers of the Bank own 90% of its shares, while the remaining 10% is owned by the government. Moreover, more than 90% of Grameen Bank borrowers are women(Quaraishi, 2007, p.10).
In October 2007 the bank had 25283 employees, with 2,481 branches covering 80,678 villages (Grameen, 2011 c). Since its creation, the bank granted loan €4.3 billion and €3.9 billion have been repaid. The bank claims a recovery rate of 98% compared to 95% recovery in 1998 (Scrapek, 1990, p.33).
2.3 Empowerment
According to Mayoux, the empowerment is a “process of...
Lire le document complet

Veuillez vous inscrire pour avoir accès au document.

Vous pouvez également trouver ces documents utiles

  • Culture in vitro exemple
  • Zen in asian culture
  • Culture in vitro
  • Culture in vitro
  • Culture in vitro
  • Culture in vitro
  • Culture in vitro de végétaux
  • European culture in few questions

Devenez membre d'Etudier

Inscrivez-vous
c'est gratuit !