Flood Control 2015
Table of contents
1 MANAGEMENT SUMMARY 3
2 INTRODUCTION 5
3 EUROPE 5
3.1 PO DELTA - Italy 5
3.2 DANBUE DELTA – Romania 5
3.3 RHINE DELTA – the Netherlands 6
3.4 EBRO DELTA - Spain 7
4 AFRICA 7
4.1 NIL DELTA – Egypt 7
5 ASIA 8
5.1 GANGES- India 8
5.2 MAHANADI DELTA - India 8
5.3 KRISHNA DELTA - India 85.4 CHAO PHRAYA - Thailand 9
5.5 BENGAL DELTA – India/Bangladesh 9
5.6 INDUS DELTA – Pakistan 9
5.7 PEARL DELTA - China 10
5.8 HUANG HE DELTA – China 10
5.9 YANGTZE DELTA - China 11
5.10 RED RIVER DELTA – China/Vietnam 11
5.11 MEKNG DELTA – Vietnam 12
6 AMERICA 12
6.1 SACRAMENTO DELTA – San Joaquin United States 12
6.2 MISSISSIPPI DELTA – United States 13
6.3 PARANADELTA - Argentina 13
7 DELTA ATTRACTIVNESS 15
7.1 MISSISSIPPI – United States 18
7.2 CHAO PHRAYA - Thailand 20
7.3 GANGES DELTA – India 22
7.4 MEKONG DELTA – Vietnam 24
8 GANGES / BENGAL DELTA 29
8.1 INDIA 29
8.1.1 RELEVANT MEDIA CHANNELS 29
8.1.2 PROJECT OFFICE 30
8.2 BANGLADESH 30
8.2.1 GOVERNMENT 31
8.2.2 WATER AUTHORITIES 32
8.2.3 COOPERATION WITH CIVILAUTHORITIES 33
8.2.4 DECISION MAKING CONCERNING FLOOD CONTROL SOLUTIONS 33
8.2.5 MAIN ISSUES IN BANGLADESH 34
8.2.6 WATER PROGRAMMS ON WATER CONTROL 35
8.2.7 RELEVANT MEDIA CHANNELS 35
8.2.8 CURRENT PROJECTS 36
8.2.9 CULTURAL ASPECTS 36
9 STRATEGY 38
10 List of references 40
The main target of this project is to get more insight in theimportant countries and markets where the Flood control 2015 should be targeted on. In the world are many different deltas. To get a better overview of all nineteen deltas in the world they were first all described and after that they were all analyzed through a criteria matrix. From here the delta which would have the greatest succession opportunity was decided to be the Bangladesh part of the Ganges,the main focus should rely on the south of Bangladesh. The main reasons why there has been decided to this commercial interesting delta depended on: market size, frequency of flood events, population density, economic value of properties under risk of flooding, delta economic value to country, infrastructures, complexity of distribution of responsibility for flood protection, civil authorities watermanagement organization, geographic distance to the Netherlands, language, political stability, number of people living in the delta, size of the delta, religion, risk perception authorities of flooding, image of Holland, technology level, education level within the country and cultural profiles. These criteria all lead to the underlying decision why the Flood Control 2015 should be implementedin the Ganges.
The main outcomes of the recently done desk research which could be seen as important issues:
* Only 37% of the developed area is protected by Flood Control and Drainage (FCD) systems.
* Existing participating projects are strongly irrigation and farmer based.
* The government considers the economic side of declaring a flood emergency.
* There are struggles overwater control, frequently decided in favor of a minority of rich stakeholders.
* Many politicians have no concern of the poor majority due to the gap between rich and poor.
* There is institutional corruption and a low level of legislative enforcement.
* Some parts of the Ganges are sacred for many Hindus.
* The people of Bangladesh are aware of the risks they take even if theyare unable to manage them.
* There is now a realistic willingness to deliver changes concerning flood risks.
* The map with river water levels is not available for the majority of Bangladesh through no internet.
* Short range forecasting offered by FFWC is not useful to the agricultural community.
* The Bangladesh Agricultural Research Institute suggests that 10 to 15 days...
Lire le document complet
Veuillez vous inscrire pour avoir accès au document.