* 1.4 million children in England live in bad housing. 
* In 2007/08, 565,000 households in England were overcrowded. 
* In 2008 the number of repossessions rose to40,000 from 25,900 the previous year, and it is predicted that 65,000 homes will be repossessed in 2009. 
* 7.7 million homes in England fail to meet the Government's Decent Homes Standard. * The UK is now more polarised by housing wealth than at any time since the Victorian era.
* In 2008/09, more than 79,500 households were found to be homeless by local authorities. 
* Atthe end of December 2008, 64,000 households were living in temporary accommodation arranged by local authorities. Just over 49,000 of these households had dependent children. 
The money raised fromthis partnership will make a huge difference to our work. It will mean we can continue to run our network of local services throughout England and Scotland, which provide expert advice and supportdirectly to people trapped in bad housing or at risk of homelessness.
Shelter is a charity that works to alleviate the distress caused by homelessness and bad housing.
Shelter tackles the root causesof bad housing by lobbying government and local authorities for new laws and policies, and more investment, to improve the lives of homeless and badly housed people.
Our influential campaigns bringaspects of bad housing to the attention of the media and the public, who help us fight for solutions.
In some areas, there are local organisations that provide good quality second hand furniture,safety-tested appliances and other household items for people on low incomes.
* How can a furniture project help?
* Who can get help in this way?
How can a furniture project help?Furniture projects operate by collecting items donated by local people and will usually be able to deliver them to your home. You usually have to pay something to cover the costs involved but it is much...
Lire le document complet
Veuillez vous inscrire pour avoir accès au document.