Pages: 5 (1036 mots) Publié le: 29 novembre 2010


The collect of used textiles

Erasmus student

Introduction 3
1. Impact of the textile industry on the environment 4
• Energy 4
• Water 4
• Waste 5
2. Solution for the collect of used textiles 5
3. Collect of used textiles in Western Europe 6
• Quantity of used textiles collected in Europe 6
• Different modes ofcollection 7
• Examples 7
4. Of an ecological point of view 8
• Protect the environment 8
• Protect forest 8
• Protect rivers 9
• Save energy 9
• Save raw materials 9
Conclusion 10


For several years now, Human finally realized that nature was in danger from an environmental point of view and that many industries are contributing to this threat. The textileindustry is one of them. Indeed, it has a significant impact on the environment in terms of energy, raw materials or waste.

Several ways are used to protect the planet and save resources. I tell you about the collect of used textiles, especially in France.

Impact of the textile industry on the environment


The textile sector accounts for slightlyless than 2% of total energy consumption in industry (coal, gas network, petroleum products, electricity and steam purchased - source: SESSI)
We must also add the energy consumption of all that is associated with the transport, importation and distribution.


In textile industry, water is consumed in four ways:

- To clean raw materials of theirimpurities
- To clean textiles of various substances used in spinning, weaving or knitting
- For applying dyes and finishing agents
- To generate steam (dry textiles).

It is mainly the finishing (dyeing, finishing, printing), which consumes a large amount of water. By example, the consumption of water in textile industries in Belgium in 2003 was about 1.37millions of cubic meters.
Source :

The textile industry rejects a large amount of water. These waters contain chemicals products dangerous for the environment. Approximately 640,000 tons of dyes produced annually worldwide and about 10 to 15% are discharged in the effluents of dyeing.


The wastes produced by thetextile industry are not dangerous for health or the environment.
However it is interesting to salvage to reuse or recycle them in order to save raw materials.

Solution for the collect of used textiles

In France, the amount of domestic waste and rejected increasing. It is because of the accumulation of discharges and nuisance caused by it that the collect to salvage waste(glass, paper, cardboard, plastic ...) have been established.

In recent years, the collection of used textiles has increased in France. They are collected in several ways, either using special containers, or distribution of plastic bags door to door.
These textiles are salvaged in order to be reused or recycled.

[pic] Source :

Collect of usedtextiles in Western Europe

Quantity of used textiles collected in Europe

The collection of used textiles is growing in all countries of the European Community.
Germany is the most advanced country with an annual tonnage of 600,000 tons, the collection of used textiles in this country started 15 years before the first collection appeared in France.
France is muchfurther with only 75,000 tones of textile waste collected per year.

If France is so far is that only 15% of textile wastes are salvaged, the remaining 85% are incinerated with domestic waste.


Different modes of collection

Approximately 38% of used textiles are salvaged through from door...
Lire le document complet

Veuillez vous inscrire pour avoir accès au document.

Vous pouvez également trouver ces documents utiles

Devenez membre d'Etudier

c'est gratuit !