Strategy : sudy case peper ans salt peugeot

Pages: 5 (1030 mots) Publié le: 12 mai 2009
Case study :


Peugeot pepper mills


Peugeot is a company which is born in 1810, in Doubs (East of France). It has been launched by two brothers, Jean-Pierre and Jean-Frédéric Peugeot. Initially it was a steel foundry. In 1818 they registered a patent for manufacturing tools and saws in particular. The first mill was for coffee and it was created in 1840. Thelion trademark appeared in 1850 on the different tools, and it was registered in 1858. It symbolizes the quality of the brand.

The first pepper mill appeared thirty four years after the coffee one, in 1874. It was called the “Z” model. A main attempt of innovation occurred in 1930 with the first electric coffee mill. They launched the final model in 1952 which was more useful. It correspondsto the end of the hand-ground coffee mills. Then they constantly extended their range with several mills.

In 1996 they reached a high level of sales with one million mills all over the world. The year after the first electric pepper mill was created, the model “Laval” in three colours: black, white and blue.

In 2003 Peugeot registered two patents for salt and pepper mills. Then a highnumber of innovations were put on the market.
Presentation of the company

In 2006 PSP is the world leader in the production of salt and pepper mills with a turnover of 25 millions and 3 millions items sold. The headquarters is in the Doubs, as the original company in 1810. 84% of the capital is held by Jean-Claude Fornage and the remaining 16% is held by the Peugeot family. They reached theworld leader position in production of electric pepper and salt mills in less than ten years.

In 1998 the growth accelerated because of the takeover of the firm. The export market is linked to this acceleration. The efficiency of the marketing strategy is the source of the growth on the French market. This strategy was applied to the export market in the early 2000’s. The company has two mainsegments: the general public and the professional sector. The general public is the main target of the company because they represent 90% of sales.

In 1985 the Peugeot group decided to sell its “hand-tools” activities to Stanley Works, the world leader on this market. Jean-Claude Fornage who was the head of Stanley Works France decided to takeover the former Peugeot activities.

Then in1990 he decided to concentrate only on the production of mills. The Peugeot brand enjoyed the use of its name since the mid 1850’s and meanwhile the car maker Peugeot wanted to separate its name and its activities from the salt and pepper mills production. Consequently in the 1990’s Jean-Claude Fornage took over the mills only with the Peugeot name. The manufacturing and the marketing are the coreactivity. The firm sold its mechanisms to other companies who assembled them into a final product. In 1997, 70% of the volumes of the mechanisms were sold to a single German client (Schmitt and Brendel) which have acquired by PSP in 1998. It permitted to extend the international, especially in China. So it permitted to change the strategic direction of the firm and modified deeply its competitiveenvironment.

Jean-Claude Fornage hired some managers from several competitors such as Maurice Lauzet who was the head of the Research and Development in the area of process and product innovation for the French branch of Stanley Work. In 2002 Guy Degrenne sold his factory to PSP and it permitted to extend the industrial activities of the firm.

Key points PSP:

||Company/ turnover |Management |Product |Market |
|Before 1990 |PSP was a manufacturer of component; | |The first pepper mill had |Professional market/ |
| |the sales of the finished product | |been created in 1874 |principally in Germany...
Lire le document complet

Veuillez vous inscrire pour avoir accès au document.

Vous pouvez également trouver ces documents utiles

  • Peugeot strategy
  • Vanesse abrams case sudy
  • Strategy: peugeot psa citroën
  • Google case strategy
  • Pepere
  • Salt
  • Peugeot
  • peugeot

Devenez membre d'Etudier

c'est gratuit !