Hills Like White Elephants
1. Hills Like White Elephants – Ernest Hemingway
2. This story takes place in Spain, in the mid-1920s in a train station
3. Jig : The woman who is traveling inEurope with the American.
The American : The man traveling with Jig, the author does not mention whether they are married of single but we can guess that they are girlfriend and boyfriend
4.This is the story of a man and a woman who are drinking at the station while waiting the train. They are talking about something that seems really important but they never mention what it is. However, wecan easily guess that they are talking about abortion. The man is trying to convince Jig that it’s the best thing to do for both of them, that it’s “awfully simple”.
5. We can feel that thethere’s a tension mood. Jig doesn’t seem to be sure that abortion is a good idea while the man really thinks that it’s what she should do. He is trying to convince her but he doesn’t want to push her todo something she wouldn’t want to do either.
6. I think we can see different themes in this story. We can see it as if the man would want to evade his responsibility, instead of facing thechallenge; he is being selfish and doing everything he can so that Jig decides to get aborted.
7. Licorice : a Eurasian plant of the legume family.
Absinthe : a green, aromatic liqueur that is 68percent alcohol, is made with wormwood and other herbs, and has a bitter, licorice flavour.
I think “Hills Like White Elephants” was a great story. The interesting part of it is that they never mentionwhat the Jig and the man are talking about, we have to figure out. There are so many symbols in this short story; we can see that every single word has a specific meaning. I also liked the fact thatthere is a lot of interaction, I prefer when it’s conversations than when there’s a lot of descriptions. What makes this story even more interesting is the subject, abortion is a subject which on...
Lire le document complet
Veuillez vous inscrire pour avoir accès au document.