I General presentation
- 3 capitals : Pretoria (executive)
Cape Town (legislative)
- Largest city : Johannesburg with 710.000inhabitants (3.900.000 with the agglomeration)
- Total population : 49.320.000 inhabitants
- 11 official languages : Zulu, Xhosa, Afrikaans, Northern Sotho, Tswana, English, Southern Sotho, Tsonga, Swazi,Venda and Southern Ndebele
- 4 ethnic groups : 79.3% Black
- Density : 41 inhabitants/km²
- Area : 1.221.037 km²(1.8 time bigger than France)
- 9 provinces : Eastern Cape, Free State, Gauteng, KwaZulu-Natal, Limpopo, Mpumalanga, Northern Cape, North West, Western Cape
- GDP (gross domestic product) : 493.5billions (25th in the world)
- Currency : Rand (1$ = 7 Rands, 1€ = 11 Rands, 1£ = 12 Rands)
- Anthem : National anthem of south Africa
- Motto : !ke e: ǀxarra ǁke ("Unity In Diversity")
- Relief: The Central Plateau (from 600m to 2500m), Roggeveld Mountains (average of 1404 m), Drakensberg (3482m)
- The quantity of water is negligible
- Map of Africa :
- Flag of South Africa:(Adopted the 15th March 1994)
- Coat of arms:
II History of South Africa
The definitive implantation of Europeans in South Africans was in 1652 with the establishment of a refreshment station,on behalf of the Dutch East India Company leaded by Jan van Riebeeck. Some conflicts rapidly raise and in 1779 begin the first of the nine Cafres wars (1779-1878). In 1806, the Dutch let the Britishsettle, who become the new colonial power.
In 1912, the ANC, the African National Congress, is created in Bloemfontein
In 1948, the national party wins the general elections. The new PrimeMinister Daniel François Malan settles the apartheid policy.
In 1960, the Sharpeville massacre, then the interdiction of both the ANC and the nationalist movements leads to the condemning of the...
Lire le document complet
Veuillez vous inscrire pour avoir accès au document.