PART 54--REQUIREMENTS FOR RENEWAL OF OPERATING LICENSES FOR NUCLEAR POWER PLANTS
§ 54.1 Purpose.
This part governs the issuance of renewed operating licenses and renewed combined licenses for nuclear power plants licensed pursuant to Sections 103 or 104b of the Atomic Energy Act of 1954, as amended, and Title II of the Energy Reorganization Act of 1974 (88 Stat. 1242).
[72FR 49560, Aug. 28, 2007]
§ 54.3 Definitions.
(a) As used in this part,
Current licensing basis (CLB) is the set of NRC requirements applicable to a specific plant and a licensee's written
commitments for ensuring compliance with and operation within applicable NRC requirements and the plant-specific
design basis (including all modifications and additions to such commitments over the life ofthe license) that are docketed and in effect. The CLB includes the NRC regulations contained in 10 CFR parts 2, 19, 20, 21, 26, 30, 40, 50, 51, 52, 54, 55, 70, 72, 73, 100 and appendices thereto; orders; license conditions; exemptions; and technical specifications. It also includes the plant-specific design-basis information defined in 10 CFR 50.2 as documented in the most recent final safetyanalysis report (FSAR) as required by 10 CFR 50.71 and the licensee's commitments remaining in effect that were made in docketed licensing correspondence such as licensee responses to NRC bulletins, generic letters, and enforcement actions, as well as licensee commitments documented in NRC safety evaluations or licensee event reports.
Integrated plant assessment (IPA) is a licensee assessment thatdemonstrates that a nuclear power plant facility's structures and components requiring aging management review in accordance with § 54.21(a) for license renewal have been identified and that the effects of aging on the functionality of such structures and components will be managed to maintain the CLB such that there is an acceptable level of safety during the period of extended operation.
Nuclearpower plant means a nuclear power facility of a type described in 10 CFR 50.21(b) or 50.22.
Renewed combined license means a combined license originally issued under part 52 of this chapter for which an application for renewal is filed in accordance with 10 CFR 52.107 and issued under this part.
Time-limited aging analyses, for the purposes of this part, are those licensee calculations andanalyses that:
(1) Involve systems, structures, and components within the scope of license renewal, as delineated in § 54.4(a);
(2) Consider the effects of aging;
(3) Involve time-limited assumptions defined by the current operating term, for example, 40 years;
(4) Were determined to be relevant by the licensee in making a safety determination;
(5) Involve conclusions or provide the basis forconclusions related to the capability of the system, structure, and component to perform its intended functions, as delineated in § 54.4(b); and
(6) Are contained or incorporated by reference in the CLB.
(b) All other terms in this part have the same meanings as set out in 10 CFR 50.2 or Section 11 of the Atomic Energy Act, as applicable.
[; 72 FR 49560, Aug. 28, 2007]
§ 54.4 Scope.
(a) Plantsystems, structures, and components within the scope of this part are--
(1) Safety-related systems, structures, and components which are those relied upon to remain functional during and following design-basis events (as defined in 10 CFR 50.49 (b)(1)) to ensure the following functions--
(i) The integrity of the reactor coolant pressure boundary;
(ii) The capability to shut down the reactor andmaintain it in a safe shutdown condition; or
(iii) The capability to prevent or mitigate the consequences of accidents which could result in potential offsite exposures comparable to those referred to in § 50.34(a)(1), § 50.67(b)(2), or § 100.11 of this chapter, as applicable.
(2) All non safety-related systems, structures, and components whose failure could prevent satisfactory accomplishment of...
Lire le document complet
Veuillez vous inscrire pour avoir accès au document.