Aborigines are the natives of Australia.
They came to Australia 40,000 years ago.
These people hunted for food.
They caught fish to eat.
The women gathered food.
They picked nuts and berries and caught frogs.
They did not grow crops.
They did not herd animals for food.
Australia was joined to Papua NewGuinea.
Papua New Guinea is north of Australia.
The aborigines also used different kinds of boats to come from islands in the north.
They used canoes and rafts.
We do not know where they came from.
After the ice age, the ice began to melt.
The sea began to rise and Australia was separated from the north.
The passages were too wide to cross in rafts and canoes.
Tasmania separated from themainland 10,000 years ago.
B. Write the subject and verb and tense of the first five sentences above. The first sentence is done for you.
Subject Verb Tense
e.g. Aborigines are Present
C. Find the meanings of the following words in your English dictionary.
D. Change the following sentences to make them true.
1. Europeans are the natives of Australia.
2. Aborigines came to Australia 500 years ago.
3. The aborigines grew food to eat.
4. They kept animals for food.
5. Australia was joined to Africa.
6. The aborigines used horses to come toAustralia.
7. After the ice age, the rain began to fall.
8. Australia was separated from the south.
9. The aborigines could still cross in canoes when the sea rose.
10. Victoria separated from the mainland 10,000 years ago.
E. Answer the following questions with complete sentences.
1. What was the name of the first people in Australia?
2. When did they come to Australia?
3. How did theycome to Australia?
4. How did they get their food?
5. What was joined to Australia?
6. What happened to the ice after the Ice Age?
7. When was Tasmania separated from the mainland of Australia?
F. Make your own sentences from the following words. (Do not use sentences from your dictionary.)
7. Rise8. Hunt
G. Fill in the correct word from the box below.
Aborigines are the _________ of Australia. They came to Australia 40,000 years ______ . They ___________ for food and caught _________ to eat. The __________ gathered food. The aborigines did not _________ crops or _________ animals for food.
H. Underline the subject and replace it withthe correct pronoun in the following sentences.
e.g. I, you, he, she, it, we, they
1. Australia was joined to Papua New Guinea.
2. Papua New Guinea is north of Australia.
3. The students in our class do not know where the aborigines came from.
4. The aborigines used canoes and rafts.
5. The ice began to melt after the ice age.
6. The sea began to rise and Australia was separated from thenorth.
7. The passages were too wide to cross in rafts and canoes.
8. Tasmania separated from the mainland 10,000 years ago.
9. Our teacher told us the aborigines came over 40,000 years ago.
10. Mr. Marshall teaches 1L about aborigines.
I. Use your atlas and find Australia and Papua New Guinea.
1. What is the latitude and longitude of Darwin?
2. What is the capital of PapuaNew Guinea?
3. What is the latitude and longitude of Sydney?
4. What is the latitude of the Tropic of Capricorn?
5. How many kilometres are there between Darwin and Port Moresby?
6. Can you find any other islands between Australia and Papua New Guinea?
7. What is the name of the water between these countries?
8. Which countries are north of Papua New Guinea?
9. How do you think the...