I. Compétences linguistiques
- She went
- air travel didn't exist
- it took
- When she left home, she was feeling excited.
- She went
- She was wearing
- People kissed and hugged
- When the boat sailed off, she could see that her mother was crying and her father was shouting last minute recommendations!
a) Quand Dally a émigré à L.A. il y a six ans elle pouvait à peine comprendre l'anglais.
b) On était en 1880 et il prenait part à l'aventure; comme il est monté sur le bateau il l'a remarqué.
c) Elle portait une longue robe blanche et transportait une valise.
a) As I stepped off the boat, I saw my uncle who was waiting for me.
b) It was in 1967 that my grandfather landed in France.
c) He often told me he regretted the sun of his country.
a) In Ellis Island, people were treated like cattle.
b) They were examinated to find out if they had contagious diseases.
c) Hispanic immigrants were said.
II. Compréhension de texte
1. (The text)
*The immigrants before
1) New York was built by immigrants who have passed through Ellis Island. All over the world people wanted to beggin a new life in America including New York.
« They literally and figuratively built New York. »
« Without wich New York would never have became what Walt Whitman called th "proud and passionate … mad, extravagant city!"
2) New York is a symbol all over the world. It symbolizes the New World, the land where everthing is possible. They think poverty don't exist anymore in this big town. Therefore they bring and share their cultures and religions.
« millions of people have sought the Lady Liberty, fleeing poverty, famine, war and persecution overseas. »
« They brought their native foods and religions, customs and clothing »
3) The first immigrants have gone for Manhattan before to go elsewhere.
*The immigrants today
4) The new immigrants come from a lot of differents communities. There are